The Open Course #1 is inspired by St. Andrews (Old Course) #1 Par 4.
Inspiration: This par 4 is a tribute to the first hole at St. Andrews’ Old Course in St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland.
Details: The fairway on the Old Course’s #1 is wide, more than 100 yards, with lots of room to the left of the tree. In fact, because space was limited some 500 years ago, St. Andrews’ #1 and #18 shared adjoining fairways, resulting in one of the widest fairways in the world.
History: Universally regarded as the Home of Golf, St. Andrews, Scotland is believed to have had sportsmen trending its links as early as 1300 A.D. Prior to 1764, the Old Course was comprised of 22 holes. That year, however, the Society of St. Andrews Golfers (later to be known as the Royal & Ancient Club) decided many of the holes were too short, and set about combining the 22 holes into 18, which, of course, has become the standard for golf the world over.